Saturday, August 28, 2010

Don’t teach me about moderation and liberty. I prefer a shot of grape juice.

If I had to make one recommendation to alter your life at this very moment, I would tell you to go listen to "New Law" by Derek Webb. Make it happen, kids.

As for Simi Valley and the many works of a poor, college student who is out to learn what love means I once again heard a professor say something that made me want to tuck my tail and hide at the back of the class, because I knew that what he was saying was directed at something I had been guilty of so many times in the past. Not only was I guilty of it, but the movement that I am convinced is going to bring peace to the hurting is guilty of it as well.

"You're an idiot if you just throw a bible verse at someone dealing with the carnage of life. It isn't a take two of these verses and call me in the morning type of thing."-Spencer MacCuish
The topic was relationship counseling, what it is and what it is not. More specifically, discipleship counseling. He goes on to explain how this isn't a hybrid of Biblical truth and psychology, nor is it something reserved for trained professionals. It is what love looks like in action. It is what it means to truly be patient. It was what the church, the body, is called to do.

I am reading Sires "The Universe Next Door" right now and this guy knows how to kick my butt in the best way possible.

"A person who writes about worldviews and is not biased, is also not a credible source"-
James Sire
Sire talks a lot about how God was the source of all truth. The problem with naturalism is that it keeps us from finding the truth in anything while attempting to do the complete opposite. Sire knew that as long as we seek wisdom then we would be able to find the pure truth in things outside of our culture.
On that note, as I sit here with no phone, no bike, and no Atlanta I realize something. It is time to let the dead bury the dead. I am going to run like a little girl every time I am pushed to live these words, but they are so painfully true. We only need what we are given.

No comments:

Post a Comment