Sunday, August 22, 2010

47 Party? Is that a band?

Monday morning if I were to walk into an art history class and site wikipedia as one of my sources on a paper about "Hamlet" I would not only lose all of my credibility as a student, but would also join the millions of people who mindlessly allow the rest of the world to do the research for them without checking the original sources.
Monday morning if I were to walk into an art history class and claim that I had found a way to travel back in time, had interviewed William Shakespeare about "Hamlet", and brought back the original skull my professor would probably think I was clinically insane. On the off-chance that he actually believed me I am sure he would wonder what I was doing in Humanities 1101 with the technology needed for traveling time and the most profound Shakespearean research of the 21st century.
I am not ignorant enough to believe that my appearance is all a person sees when they look at me. If we were to pay close enough attention to anyone then we could spot emotions, opinions, and thoughts just from what there faces carry. I don't want to be the "wikipedia first year", mindlessly allowing anyone and everyone to fill me up with information as I fruitlessly take it. I also don't want to be the "Back-to-the-future first year", going so far out of my way to prove to the rest of the community that I behold the knowledge of all things that I am willing to lie or run after the impossible. I don't want to miss what I was meant to receive because of me not allowing myself to be properly guided.
While sitting on the beach in Malibu discussing future adventures with two of my new friends, I realised something. I'm comfortable. I've been comfortable since I walked into this new life. Not in the sense that it has been easy, but in the sense that it has been so obvious that I am going through what I was meant to go through that anxiety does not exist.

"Don't ask yourself what the world needs. Ask yourself what makes you come alive and go do it, because what the world needs is men that have come alive"-Gil Bailie

I don't know what to call what I am experiencing out here, but whatever it is I can say this. It is making me come alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment